Redhill Junior And Infant School

Our School Our Future

Redhill Road, Birmingham, West Midlands, B25 8HQ


History of Redhill School

Redhill School opened in 1892. When the school first opened there were 228 children on the register and two teachers, which meant extremely large classes. When it first opened the building work in the school was not actually completed, a situation which we can sympathise with today as our very old building is currently undergoing some structural repair work to restore it to its former glory.

In our school archives we have found an original log book kept by the Head teacher. In the following extract dated March 25th 1892 the entry explains how:

‘The regular work of the school [is] very much interrupted by workmen being at work in the rooms’.

Always keen to promote health and sport these photographs have been found showing the girl’s skittle ball team and the boy’s football team in 1950.

Some Facts About Redhill

Redhill was a well known place for many years because the road from Birmingham to Coventry crossed the River Cole at Hay Mills Bridge nearby.

There used to be a windmill in the area now covered by Arthur Road, but it fell down before the year 1800.

The name Red Hill comes from the red clay which was dug up in the village.
There were several brick factories in Redhill until the 1970s

James Horsfall was a manufacturer of wire. He built a factory at Hay Mills, where the Webster & Horsfall wire factory still stands.

30 000 miles of wire for the first transatlantic telegraph cable was made at Hay Mills, taking 250 men a year to make. The cable was laid from Ireland to America in 1866 by the famous ship the SS Great Eastern.

There is an article about the Atlantic Cable on BBC History

As well as building St Cyprian's church, James Horsfall founded a school to educate the children of his workers. You can still see this school next to the river, at the gates of Webster & Horsfall, close to the Asda roundabout.
The old schoolroom was closed when Redhill School opened in 1892.

The pictures of Horsfall's and the cable are from
The picture of the clay pit is from the Acocks Green History Society. Thanks for permission to use these pictures!

Repairs in 1993

These pictures were taken in August 1993. Dont you think the school looks amazing from the air?